Wednesday, February 10, 2010

American Idol Idolatry

I love Hollywood Week on American Idol!  We get a glimpse of what the Idol hopefuls are really made of. 

So far, the gals outnumber the guys as far as talent goes, but the best audition last night was Andrew Garcia singing his version of Paula Abdul's "Straight Up".  Paula was done proud and would have said something unintelligible but highly complimentary if she were there.

Second place, for me, was Didi Benami, bravely and beautifully singing a song Cara wrote. 

It's a toss up for third place between Big Michael Lynche and Lilly Scott.  Big Mike's "soul meets alternative" style is easy to listen to while Lilly's lilting voice is unique and whimsical.

Don't you love the stories behind the contestants?  Some of them didn't end the way they would have liked.  Vanessa, the "Pickleresque" country girl didn't make it.  Neither did Maddy, who wanted to make it for her brothers.  I hope they realize, after the disappointment fades, that this is only the beginning for them and the courage it took to get them this far will take them even farther if they let it.

But still left are a waitress, a sandwich maker, a single mom, a high school kid, a salesperson, and forty or so other hopefuls who hold occupations that have nothing to do with music.  Gotta love this show!

Speaking of nothing to do with music, the very funny Ellen DeGeneres did a stand-up job at judging, in my opinion.  Her sense of humor lightened the vibe and her comments were insightful and right on.  Heck, if hubby and I can critique from our living room couch and be scarily accurate,  Ellen can do it in her tennies and torn jeans from behind the judging table just fine.  Go Ellen!

Tonight the contestants perform for the judges in groups.  It's most viewers favorite part of the auditions.  We get to see the idol hopefuls get down and dirty with each other and see who rises to the top despite the conflicts.  For one night American Idol meets American Gladiators.  I'll be tuning in!

5 comments:

  1. Isn't American Idolatry a sin? Good review though, redhead. Now if you could put the same initiative into disemminating gate codes (sorry folks - inside joke/household-squabble there).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only watch "American Idol" when the auditions are happening so I can watch people make fools of themselves. I'm horrible, I know. I haven't seen Ellen as a judge yet, but I LOVE her! I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the humor that Ellen adds to the show. I am right with you on the emerging front runners right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The group night was good too. So much talent this year. I thought Ellen was going to annoy me but I like her so far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate it when I don't have Pay tv and have no clue what you Americans are talking about ;)

    Anyways, blog award for you over here... http://randomramblingsofsahm.blogspot.com/2010/02/look-mum-i-won-blog-award.html

    :D

    ReplyDelete

I love comments more than wine. And that's a LOT of love.

Related Posts with Thumbnails