Wednesday, April 21, 2010

American Inspiring Idol

     My brother is now officially hooked on American Idol.  We've also got him hooked on Glee, but you wouldn't be able to tell because he sits at the kitchen table and just peeks over the dividing wall at the family room T.V. and watches while he pretends to be looking at grocery store ads.  But I know he's watching because when I sneak a glance at him, he's bobbing his bald head to the music.  He's a closet Gleeker.  It's ok, bro, real men watch Glee.
     Back to American Idol. The theme of the night was inspirational songs. The fact that the remaining seven contestants have made it this far must be inspiring and uplifting to each of them, so it should have been easy to convey that in their performances.  For me, only two stood out as truly inspirational and the rest were a good try.
     Casey sounded good (and looked pretty darn good too) singing Don't Stop, but the judges weren't impressed.  Ellen likened Tim to the soup of the day and said she didn't care for the soup that day.  I have to agree with her - it was watery.
     Lee Dewyze sang one of my favorite Simon and Garfunkel songs, The Boxer, and did a beautiful rendition of it.  It was quite brave of him to pick a not very known song, and an older one at that. He put his own style into it and I think really did it justice.  Paul and Art would be proud. Check it out:

This is one I'm definitely going to grab from I-Tunes.  You can get the full version of any of your favorite Idol songs there, by the way.
     Aaron sang I Believe I Can Fly.  I thought he did a pretty good job with it.  Hubby made fake snoring noises and said, "I believe I can nap."  Siobhan's performance was the best I've heard from her, and I liked her little butterfly outfit, but the only judge that liked it was Ellen.  Big Mike feels every song he sings, which I love about him, and he was feeling Hero, but the judges weren't.
     Then there was Crystal.  She put herself out there by just standing up and singing.  No guitar, no piano - just her and her voice. That must have been hard for her because you can tell she doesn't like to be vulnerable. But as each week goes by, she opens up more and more and her fans love it because it just makes her more endearing and even more of a favorite. Last night she was just magnificent. She was so moved she broke down at the end of her song. Even Simon was touched and called her performance inspirational:

I love the Rod Stewart and Jeff Beck version of this song, but this is another one I'll be grabbing from I-tunes.
     Tonight is Idol Gives Back, the annual show they do for charity. If you don't usually watch Idol, you might tune in tonight to check it out. There's always great celebrity performances and the focus is on helping those less fortunate. It's meant to inspire and it usually does.  Hope everyone has a great rest of the week!

4 comments:

  1. ha- i believe i can nap- i think that's how i would feel if i was watching 'idol'! i can only stomach the auditions because i like watching people make idiots of themselves :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with you 100% on all! I definitely thought Siobhan did a beautiful job, and I don't particularly care for her, but I got a little ticked that most of the judges didn't think she did well. :(

    LOVED Lee's performance....and Mike too! Crystal was wonderful even without her guitar. Casey was HOT as usual, but the song choice wasn't good for him. And I still love Aaron, but it was kinda weak last night.

    Of course, I already know who was voted off...but won't say in case someone hasn't seen it yet. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stupid google booted me out of your Follow list :( It's been happening to me with all my favorite blogs. I'm back now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Watery soup! Bwah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments more than wine. And that's a LOT of love.

Related Posts with Thumbnails