Thursday, February 25, 2016

Fast 'N Easy Turkey Chili Recipe

What's better than a nice hot bowl of chili, covered in cheese and onions with a big dollop of sour cream on top?

In honor of National Chili Day (and who thinks these things up?) I thought I'd share with you my favorite chili recipe.

Make this delicious, fast and easy chili with either turkey or beef. The secret ingredient makes it fabulous, either way!

It's my favorite because it's super delicious and more importantly, super easy. On work days I try to either put something in my Crockpot in the morning or plan something really simple that I'll have the energy to make when I get home. Because who wants to stand at the stove for two hours when they come home from work?

I made this earlier in the week and was sipping on wine while it bubbled on the stove in fifteen minutes flat.

Now if only I had a minion to do the dishes.

I have to confess, I can't take all the credit for its deliciousness. The secret ingredient actually came from my cousin. My fun, flamboyant cousin. She's also my fashion adviser, but she moved to Kentucky recently so I'm a little lost in that department right now.

But back to the chili.

About fifteen years ago we had a costume party at our house and my cousin brought over chili for everyone. My husband was the first one to taste it and declared it "Fracking good!"

He may have used an expletive that sounds like fracking, but I'm trying to keep this post family friendly.

Anyway...I watched my cousin make her fracking good chili and do you know what the secret ingredient was?

Fast and easy turkey chili recipe that can be made with turkey or beef. So easy and delicious it will be your go-to easy dinner recipe.
Pin it to try on your next chili night!

Taco seasoning.

How easy is that?

Ever since then, I make my chili with taco seasoning and my husband still loves it. It's his second favorite dish I make, after beef stew.

I use mild taco seasoning but if you like it spicier, use medium or hot. If you don't like the packaged seasonings and want to make your own, there's a good taco seasoning recipe here.

The last few years I've substituted turkey meat for the ground beef, to save a bit on calories and fat, and it's just as delicious. You can still make this recipe with ground beef though, if you prefer.

I use canned tomatoes with no salt and low-sodium kidney beans, so if you use the regular variety, adjust the amount of salt to taste.

Fast and easy turkey chili cooks in 30 minutes and is so delicious it will be your favorite chili recipe!
.

EASY TURKEY CHILI RECIPE

1 pound ground turkey or beef
2 - 14.5 ounce cans diced tomatoes (salt free, see note above)
2 - 15 ounce cans low-sodium light or dark red kidney beans (drained)
1 small bell pepper, chopped small (1/2 cup or so. I use green, but any kind is fine)
1 small onion, chopped small (1/2 - 3/4 cup, use less if you're not an onion fan)
1 packet mild taco seasoning mix, any brand (1.25 ounces or 2-1/4 tablespoons)
1-1/2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon salt (see note above if using salted canned tomatoes)
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon chili powder (more if you like it hotter)

Directions:
Brown the meat in a stew pot till no longer pink. Drain fat. Add onions and bell pepper and saute on medium heat for three or four minutes, stirring often. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to boil. Turn heat to low and let simmer for about 30 minutes. Serves about 6 (good sized portions).

Garnish with shredded cheese, chopped onions, sour cream, and crunched up corn chips or tortilla chips. You know those broken chips and crumbs left in the bottom of the bag? Those are perfect. Or, do like my husband and stick with saltines.

If you try it, come back and leave me a comment and let me know how you liked it.

So how are you celebrating National Chili Day?

Linking up with Mama Kat's Workshop this week for the prompt: Share a chili recipe


No comments: