Thursday, August 14, 2014

I Be Fraggin'

It's Friday Frag time and I love it because it marks the start of the weekend!

May the happy dances ensue!


Thanks to Mrs. 444 at Half Past Kissin Time for hosting this every week. Muah!

Here's my bits and frags for this week:

Frag #1
Robin Williams. Like the rest of the world, I was stunned to hear of his death. He was a talented, funny, brilliant, caring soul who will be so, so missed. He made so many people laugh while he suffered on the inside from depression and battles with addiction.

He was quoted from an interview he gave in 2006, after he relapsed following 20 years of sobriety. He was asked what made him fall off the wagon. He said,
"It's addiction - not caused by anything, it's just there. It waits. It lays in wait for the time when you think, 'it's fine now. I'm OK.' Then, the next thing you know, it's not OK. Then you realize, 'Where am I? I didn't realize I was in Cleveland."
My daughter had told me early on in her recovery that addiction is always in the back of your mind, doing push-ups. Waiting for the chance to take over again.

Imagine living like that every. single. day. It must be exhausting. I'm inspired by those that have the fortitude to continually fight that battle. Even though Robin grew too weary to continue, he will be remembered for the joy and inspiration he brought to the world while he was in it. May he have peace.

Robin Williams 1951 - 2014
Image Source
Frag #2
On a positive note, and a little related to the above...I read a quote that I love from a blogger who writes the blog Grease and Glamour. She gave up her job and possessions to just travel and have adventures. She writes about the things she's learned while on the road, and how she appreciates the little things in life more now. She says,
"No matter where you are, watching the sunrise forces you to be in the present moment – your mind isn’t bothered by thoughts of the past or the future. The world speaks to your soul through your eyes, and it costs you absolutely nothing. And you know what they say – the best things in life are free."
I just love that. I'm trying to appreciate moments. Instead of trying hard to have a good day,  I'm shooting for good moments. Or better, I'm trying to recognize a good moment and just sit and enjoy it a bit. If I'm not careful, they pass me by completely because I'm focused on something else. Something bigger, like finishing a task at work, or thinking about what I need to do when I get home, or that chin hair I need to pluck. Good moments. That's my goal.

Frag#3
It was hubby's birthday last week, so the doggies all were chased down and forced dressed up for the occasion:
Don't they all look thrilled?
It was totally worth the chase up the stairs and 20 minutes of coaxing them out from under the bed. After I got the pictures, I brought the birthday hats out for the humans to wear, and the traumatized dogs all scattered and hid. Can't imagine why.

Frag #4
I've mentioned that my daughter, Sissa, is backpacking through Kauai. I finally wrote a post about it, complete with pictures, if you want to check it out here. It's terrifying amazing what you learn about your kids from their Instagram.

Just yesterday she kayaked out from the isolated beach she's been living on, so she'll be in an area with phone reception for a couple weeks. I'm so happy to be able to text and call her! She sent this gorgeous shot of Kalalau, where she's been staying. This is from the beach, looking out to the mountains:

I swear I didn't color boost this picture. This is real, baby!

Frag #4
Lastly, here's a comic I made a while back that I don't think I shared with you. If you're reading this from a reader (cough, Feedly, cough) and there is no comic here, you'll have to click to go to my blog and read it. Feedly strips out the html so it won't show. I'm not sure how it looks in other readers. But anyway, here it is:


That's it for my frags this week. Hope you have many happy moments this weekend.

Momentarily yours,
Lori

Half-Past Kissin' Time

6 comments:

Mrs4444 said...

You crack me up, Lori."Momentarily yours" "wears therants in the family"
lol

What a wonderful opportunity for Sissa. I'm glad you'll be able to keep in touch again.

I'm not sure why living in the moment is so hard to do!

Thanks for linking up! Have a great weekend.

Tracy said...

Oh my...dogs in hats. Happy birthday indeed.

retired not tired said...

Both my daughter and her husband have worked with Robin Williams. They were devastated at his loss.

AiringMyLaundry said...

Enjoy your weekend!

I was bummed to hear about Robin Williams.

Unknown said...

Shooting for good moments sounds like the best plan. Happy belated birthday to your hubby, it certainly looks and sounds like the birthday party was a hit. Here's to a wonderful weekend for all.

Crystal said...

Wow, totally jealous of your daughter's Hawaii adventures! Sounds like an awesome experience! And I'm impressed that you got all of the dogs to wear party hats - that's quite a feat!